[Histonet] Sihler staining

Caroline Miller mills <@t> 3scan.com
Wed Apr 1 13:40:13 CDT 2015

Hi Histonet,

I just started working for a small start up in San Francisco called 3scan,
after 18 years in clinical (human) and academia (animal tissues). We have a
microscope that both sections and images at the same time. This means that
my job is to get stain into whole mount tissues prior to sectioning. We
found the Sihler staining technique for peripheral nerves and have been
getting it to work well in animal organs that were taken directly from the
animal and fixed.

We are now trying embalmed human tissue, which is our final target. We had
two samples, the first one came out very ragged and I don't think it had
any nerve tissue left in it after the maceration. It was really hard to
know where the end point is, it was so subjective, especially when looking
at unfamiliar tissues. I am thinking the first sample came out so ragged
because we did not put the sample into formaldehyde prior to maceration
because it was embalmed and we thought that was enough.

We have one more sample that is now dissected and sat in unbuffered 4%
formaldehyde. *I wanted to see if anyone familiar with the technique was
prepared to have a conversation with me about the end points of each stage,
*We have totally read and digested all of John's suggestions from this page:
http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/htdig/histonet
/2005-November/018700.html
plus many others, but it would be great to talk to someone first hand.

I reached out to Mu and Sanders, but they are no longer at that institution
and I can't find them. Or the other person who posted on Sihler to histonet
in 2005 - *Maria Mejia* maria <@t> ski.org.   Their email address bounces
now
<histonet%40lists.utsouthwestern.edu?Subject=%5BHistonet%5D%20Sihler%27s%20stain&In-Reply-To=>

Is there anyone out there with first hand knowledge I can have a chat with?

Thanks all,

mills aka Caroline :)

--
Caroline Miller