[Histonet] ALK IHC

Joelle Weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 15:47:39 CDT 2014

I think it is probably better with the rabbit monoclonal IHC than maybe in the past. IHC is MUCH cheaper, easier and faster than the FISH.  Doing ALK FISH manually was easier than Her2 FISH manual,  but still takes much more time than any IHC, and is expensive ( but necessary for certain cases). Seems like the IHC would be nice screen with a reflex to FISH.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC

From: Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
To: marktarango <@t> gmail.com; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:15:24 +0000
Subject: RE: [Histonet] ALK IHC
CC:

We are in the process of bringing this on-line.  We are using a rabbit monoclonal (clone D5F3) from Cell Signaling Technologies (Danvers, MA).  There are cases that are obviously positive and then there cases that are "Equivocal" (like HER2) where you need to do the FISH test.  The advantages of the IHC are less cost, faster result, can be used on specimens with limited tumor cells present, and it may prove useful for those tumors that show genomic heterogeneity.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102