[Histonet] Decalcified Bone Clearing time

Wait, Trevor Jordan WaitT <@t> livemail.uthscsa.edu
Mon Nov 17 13:07:42 CST 2014

Hey everyone! I'm having some issues about clearing the bone tissues after they get done dehydrating from decalcification.  I know that over clearing the bone tissues in Xylene for too long can cause them to become very brittle and I'm afraid that that was what was happening.  The bone blocks are not very big....their weights are listed as 0.222g, 0.100g, and 0.052g.  The biggest bone block is about 4mmx4mmx4mm so it's not very big I would say.  I cleared with 50% Ethanol/50% Xylene for 1 hour, and then I changed it with 100% Xylene for another hour.  The bone blocks become clear as expected but they begin to get a yellowish-tan tinge to them.  I'm not the most experienced but from what I've studied, I don't think that 2 hours in Xylene is overkill by any means so maybe it's something that I'm doing subconsciously.....if anyone has any suggestions are ideas please let me know! :)

Trevor Jordan Wait
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
Class of 2017 MD Candidate
Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate
B.S.  Biochemistry