[Histonet] RE: Oil Red O staining question

Anatoli Gleiberman AGleiberman <@t> buffalobiolabs.com
Thu Mar 20 11:27:41 CDT 2014

I used successfully Oil Red both on flash frozen and formalin-fixed sucrose cryoprotected samples.
Don't see any reason why not use formalin fixation.

Anatoli Gleiberman, Ph.D.
Director of Histopathology
Buffalo Biolabs LLC
73 High Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Phone: 716-849-6810x354
e-mail: agleiberman <@t> buffalobiolabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of David Burk
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:55 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Oil Red O staining question

Experts!

Is there any reason you would not consider formalin fixation followed by cryoprotection/cryosectioning for Oil Red O (or bodipy for that matter) staining of mouse muscle?

I ask as many folks seem to have difficulty in the flash freezing aspect of tissue collection and end up with lots of ice crystal damage. While the above method is still subject to freezing artifact it does at least negate the 'rushed collection' part of the process.

The literature favors flash frozen tissue but we've done successful staining of liver that has been fixed then cryoprotected prior to staining and things looked fine. Is there an issue with tissue adhering to slides after sectioning or some other reason this method is not preferred?

I value your opinion as I am wondering why one would choose one approach over the other.  Let's pretend tissue antigenicity isn't a factor - only section quality and lipid droplet staining.

Thanks for your comments!

David