[Histonet] Oil Red O staining question

David Burk David.Burk <@t> pbrc.edu
Thu Mar 20 10:54:31 CDT 2014

Experts!

Is there any reason you would not consider formalin fixation followed by
cryoprotection/cryosectioning for Oil Red O (or bodipy for that matter)
staining of mouse muscle?

I ask as many folks seem to have difficulty in the flash freezing aspect
of tissue collection and end up with lots of ice crystal damage. While
the above method is still subject to freezing artifact it does at least
negate the 'rushed collection' part of the process.

The literature favors flash frozen tissue but we've done successful
staining of liver that has been fixed then cryoprotected prior to
staining and things looked fine. Is there an issue with tissue adhering
to slides after sectioning or some other reason this method is not
preferred?

I value your opinion as I am wondering why one would choose one approach
over the other.  Let's pretend tissue antigenicity isn't a factor - only
section quality and lipid droplet staining.

Thanks for your comments!

David