[Histonet] RE: Melanin Bleaching...

Barbara Tibbs barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
Thu Mar 20 11:00:33 CDT 2014

Hi Sarah,

I've bleached out melanin using a 5% Potassium Permangenate solution.  It's very quick - about 15 to 30 minutes.  Wash thoroughly in running tap water.  I've done IHC after bleaching with no damage to the tissue.

Hope this helps.

Barbara S. Tibbs
Histology Supervisor
Accurate Diagnostic Labs
South Plainfield, NJ
barbara.tibbs <@t> accuratediagnosticlabs.com
732-839-3374
Cell: 610-809-6508

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu <histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> on behalf of Sarah.Dysart <@t> stdavids.com <Sarah.Dysart <@t> stdavids.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:12 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Melanin Bleaching...

So...I have never done this before.  I looked it up in the good ol' bible and found a couple protocols.  The pathologist wanted to use the 10% H2O2 procedure because he thought it would be more gentle.  So...the slides have been sitting in the 10% solution for 24 hours now.  While it is definitely working (slow as a snail...but getting lighter...), can someone please advise on what the end point of this looks like??
Thanks!!
=)

Sarah E. Dysart, BA, HT (ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Pathology Supervisor
St. David's North Austin Medical Center
12221 North Mopac Expressway
Austin, Texas  78758