[Histonet] RE: Microtomes and Exclusion Lists

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Tue Jun 3 13:56:43 CDT 2014

1. Microtome choices - my personal favorite is a Leica 2235.  We have
several in our lab, they are well liked by all.
Whatever you decide, the vendor should enable you to have a decent trial
period before making up your mind.

2. Non-Gyn Cytology Exclusion list
The following is copied straight from my policy, I hope it helps:

PURPOSE: To define the tissue specimens and fluid specimens that are
required to be submitted to for pathologic and cytopathology reporting

POLICY:
Every tissue specimen removed from a patient must be sent to the
Department of Pathology laboratory for examination by a Pathologist.
All patient fluid specimens must be submitted to Cytopathology for
examination.  Any exceptions must be approved by a consensus of the
medical staff. At the Medical Executive Meeting of November 6, 2012, the
following policy was approved:

PROCEDURE:
All fluid specimens are to be forwarded to the Department of Pathology
Laboratory with the following exceptions:

1.	Fluids for which there is a low clinical suspicion for
malignancy (i.e. synovial fluid, urines for routine urine analysis or as
a result of catheterization during routine surgery, sputums for culture)
2.	Fluids removed for therapeutic purposes and/or prior negative
cytology findings (i.e. pleural effusion, ascites in a patient with CHF
or portal hypertension)

All patient tissue and material specimens removed during surgery are to
be forwarded to the Department of Pathology with the following
exceptions:
1. (a long list of surgical specimens, hardware, etc)

I also keep a copy of the Medical Staff meeting minutes when the list
was discussed and approved.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Holy Redeemer Hospital Laboratory