[Histonet] Re: zebrafish embryos histology

Teri Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Wed Jan 22 10:24:53 CST 2014

Hi Patty,

We did some of these in paraffin in my other life in Kansas City. Essentially for these we processed them in paraffin, and would embed them in Ls, letting gravity do what it does best. We would line them up side by side, as perpendicular to the edge as we could. We had a stereomicroscope attached to an arm so we could see what we were doing with the small samples, and would use either a toothpick, wooden stick, or very fine brush to orient them in the embedding L. If we needed transverse sections, we would just mount the block as such in a standard specimen clamp and section. Honestly for us it was much quicker than using plastics, and it gave us the ability to do regular specimen and IHC stains on them if needed.

Teri Johnson
Manager, Histology
Genomics Institute for
Novartis Research