[Histonet] Protocol for decalcifying and processing large bone section.

William J. O'Connor III b427297 <@t> aol.com
Tue Aug 5 11:15:24 CDT 2014

Is there a need to decalcify the femoral head intact?  We typically cut large, unfixed veterinary bones with an Exakt band saw into 5 mm slices prior to fixation and decalcification.  This ensures the bones are well fixed prior to decalcification.   We decalcify the selected slices for about 24 hours in hcl or formic acid.
JO'C

-----Original Message-----
From: Clough, Bret <Clough <@t> medicine.tamhsc.edu>
To: Histonet list serv. <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tue, Aug 5, 2014 10:56 am
Subject: [Histonet] Protocol for decalcifying and processing large bone section.

Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone on histonet would being willing to help me by either
haring their protocol or advising me on decalcifying and processing large bone
ections. The bone sections are from the femural head of sheep measuring roughly
cm x 1 1/2 cm cube.  Currently I’ve been decalcifying the samples in 0.5M EDTA
hich is taking along time to decalcify this being the 19th day.  Any advise
ould be greatly appreciated!

incerely,
  Bret Clough
  Texas A&M Health Science Center