[Histonet] Unsubscribe, Chapter 195

dusko trajkovic dunatrsd <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 9 10:46:29 CDT 2013

Peggy,
I don't think anyone else could have said it better.
Thank you
Dusko

________________________________
From: Lee & Peggy Wenk <lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net>
To: "Manfre, Philip" <philip_manfre <@t> merck.com>; nmhisto <@t> comcast.net; HISTONET <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Unsubscribe, Chapter 195

I'm going to wade in, not as someone who has posted numerous times on how to unsubscribe, but as someone assessing it from a "risk assessment" evaluation.

If there is a lab task that is consistently being done wrong, by many different people, it is usually NOT the fault of the people. It is either a training issue, or a process problem. So we either have to do a better job training and re-training, or we need to change how the process/procedure is being done.

With the Histonet email, since people are constantly joining, often for a day or two, we can't really improve the "training" aspect. Yes, there are instructions when we first join, to print off/save how to subscribe or unsubscribe or change personal information, etc. But (be honest) how many of us pay attention to these types of instructions when we sign up to be a "member" of a credit card or a on-line department store or an on-line book store or other email lists? Most people do not. So we know that this type of "training" is not effective. But we really can't do a one-on-one type of training session for each person who signs on to Histonet. Therefore, improving the training is not the answer.

The answer lies in modifying the process. Look at the bottom of those emails from credit cards or hotels or department stores that you have signed up with. There is usually a line that says "If you no longer wish to receive these emails, click on this link and follow the instructions".

Add to that, various email lists have various methods on how to unsubscribe, which can involve a link, or putting the word unsubscribe in the subject, or putting the word unsubscribe in the message.

Histonet has a link at the bottom, but no instructions. So it's not clear to click on the link to unsubscribe, nor is there any mention whether one of the other unsubscribing methods would work. I therefore believe the Histonet unsubscribing procedure has a process problem, that could be easily fixed.

As for the fact that how to unsubscribe has been explained 5,391+ times in the past does not help the person who signed up over the weekend, and as of today, decided that Histonet is not what they need. This new person has not seen the previous requests for help with unsubscribing, nor the answers on how to do it. Again, this is a process problem.

Is there any way Histonet can get some clearer instructions at the bottom of each email, on how to unsubscribe, either permanently or temporarily while on vacation? Such as saying "To unsubscribe, click on the link below, and follow the instructions at the bottom of the next webpage".

Let's not yell at the people trying to unsubscribe. Let's work on improving the unsubscribing process, so we don't get these requests.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS

-----Original Message----- From: Manfre, Philip