[Histonet] Goldner's Trichrome staining for Ground sectioned bone samples

Edward Ren edward.ren <@t> qut.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 01:20:19 CDT 2013

Dear all,

I have trouble in getting our bone tissues embedded in Technovit Resin stained (without deplasticization), especially the Goldner's Trichrome stain.

The details of our samples are: sheep tibias and pig fibulas embedded in Technovit 9100 New MMA resin, cut and ground with the Exakt cutting and grinding system to thickness of 10-50 µm. We followed the standard protocol for sledge microtome sectioned specimen and had some success with the Goldner's staining on these samples but later on this year it just stopped working. I tried protocols for ground sectioned bone tissues but had no success. It seems the stains have really poor penetration into the resin. I have also tried Von Kossa staining but also with poor results.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Hopefully I can get some expert guide here to solve these problems.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Edward Ren

PhD student at Queensland University of Tech