[Histonet] Unsubscribe, Chapter 195

nmhisto <@t> comcast.net nmhisto <@t> comcast.net
Mon Sep 9 09:58:09 CDT 2013

I was happy to read your thoughtful evaluation of the problem and, after having read through it, wonder why I hadn't thought of it before!  Perhaps a little "tweaking" by the listserv management would make this process much more clear.  The sign-on page of information about Histonet is rather lengthy (rightly so) but perhaps it's time for a little updating.  Thank you, Peggy, for your thoughts and proposed solution.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee & Peggy Wenk" <lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net>
To: "Philip Manfre" <philip_manfre <@t> merck.com>, nmhisto <@t> comcast.net, "HISTONET" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:47:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Unsubscribe, Chapter 195

I'm going to wade in, not as someone who has posted numerous times on how to
unsubscribe, but as someone assessing it from a "risk assessment"
evaluation.

If there is a lab task that is consistently being done wrong, by many
different people, it is usually NOT the fault of the people. It is either a
training issue, or a process problem. So we either have to do a better job
training and re-training, or we need to change how the process/procedure is
being done.

With the Histonet email, since people are constantly joining, often for a
day or two, we can't really improve the "training" aspect. Yes, there are
instructions when we first join, to print off/save how to subscribe or
unsubscribe or change personal information, etc. But (be honest) how many of
us pay attention to these types of instructions when we sign up to be a
"member" of a credit card or a on-line department store or an on-line book
store or other email lists? Most people do not. So we know that this type of
"training" is not effective. But we really can't do a one-on-one type of
training session for each person who signs on to Histonet. Therefore,
improving the training is not the answer.

The answer lies in modifying the process. Look at the bottom of those emails
from credit cards or hotels or department stores that you have signed up
with. There is usually a line that says "If you no longer wish to receive
these emails, click on this link and follow the instructions".

Add to that, various email lists have various methods on how to unsubscribe,
which can involve a link, or putting the word unsubscribe in the subject, or
putting the word unsubscribe in the message.

Histonet has a link at the bottom, but no instructions. So it's not clear to
click on the link to unsubscribe, nor is there any mention whether one of
the other unsubscribing methods would work. I therefore believe the Histonet
unsubscribing procedure has a process problem, that could be easily fixed.

As for the fact that how to unsubscribe has been explained 5,391+ times in
the past does not help the person who signed up over the weekend, and as of
today, decided that Histonet is not what they need. This new person has not
seen the previous requests for help with unsubscribing, nor the answers on
how to do it. Again, this is a process problem.

Is there any way Histonet can get some clearer instructions at the bottom of
each email, on how to unsubscribe, either permanently or temporarily while
on vacation? Such as saying "To unsubscribe, click on the link below, and
follow the instructions at the bottom of the next webpage".

Let's not yell at the people trying to unsubscribe. Let's work on improving
the unsubscribing process, so we don't get these requests.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS