[Histonet] Asbestos microtomy advice?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 09:25:55 CDT 2013

If there are so many sites injected and so much injected, during trimming you may expose some fibers and "maybe" they can float in the air (?), and maybe you can inhale them (?) and maybe you can get "asbestosis" (doubtful) BUT if you want to be "better safe than sorry", use a simple mouth/nose mask.
(I personally think this would be an overkill!)
René J.

________________________________
From: Hugh Luk <hlukey <@t> msn.com>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:09 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Asbestos microtomy advice?

Hi folks,

Odd question (one I never expected until this week): if a researcher was injecting fairly large asbestos loads (~75-100 injections) into research mice, would you use extra precautions while performing microtomy?  On thousands of tissue blocks?  The injection sites are so numerous, we easily note the colors of the type of asbestos fiber-clusters while grossing.

Our concern, is mainly in the act of trimming and microtomizing the tissue.  Noteworthy publications for histology?

Grateful for any advice (in advance),
Hugh
UH cancer center
Hawaii