[Histonet] Asbestos microtomy advice?

koellingr <@t> comcast.net koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Wed Oct 9 09:59:51 CDT 2013

Hugh, I agree with Rene about the possibilities and yes a mask might be overkill. But far, far, far more than that for me, the description of this "research" as stated bothers me greatly. I am surely no expert on this particular line of research but it is my understanding that projects looking at mesothelioma and such involve inhalation of asbestos or minute injections into flanks or pleural cavities. No matter the route of administration, if you are UH, your IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) is a federally mandated law governing experimentation on and treatment of animals. Along with several other groups with lettered names. When we or anyone I know does experimentation on animals, they have to absolutely define the limited amount and route of administration and it cannot be altered without prior approval. I could be very wrong, but I can't even imagine any committee following the rules allowing authorization of 75-100 apparently haphazard injections (IP? SQ? ID?) into a mouse much less do this apparently many, many mice. For what purpose? If I was cutting tissues, I wouldn't be so concerned about myself but I would sure want some answers to this exact procedure as you described.
Ray Koelling
Seattle, WA
----- Original Message -----

From: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Hugh Luk" <hlukey <@t> msn.com>, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:25:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Asbestos microtomy advice?

If there are so many sites injected and so much injected, during trimming you may expose some fibers and "maybe" they can float in the air (?), and maybe you can inhale them (?) and maybe you can get "asbestosis" (doubtful) BUT if you want to be "better safe than sorry", use a simple mouth/nose mask.
(I personally think this would be an overkill!)
René J.