[Histonet] Leica microtome, buying used vs. new?

Kate Davoli kdavoli <@t> gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:05:41 CDT 2013

Hi All,

I need to acquire a Leica RM2235 microtome.  I've got a quote from Leica
directly, and several quotes from refurbished / used ones too with
warranties for 6 months parts and labor.

So here's my question: *does anyone recommend strongly against getting
refurbished models?*  The list seems to appreciate Leica products in
general, partly because of how reliable the machinery is.  So are there
serious drawbacks to buying second hand?  Are there certain refurbishing
vendors that are more reliable than others?

Thanks in advance,

Katherine Davoli
Supervisor, Tissue Culture & Histology Core
Department of Ophthalmology
University of Pittsburgh
Mail Stop Code: EEI010901
928 Eye & Ear Institute