[Histonet] RE: Mouse bone blocks/sections, bone marrow smears

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Mar 22 09:39:59 CDT 2013

Jian

I would fix for about 48 hours, then decal overnight in 10% formic acid, process to paraffin on a cycle of around 45 minutes per station, we sometimes process on hour long cycles with 3 absolutes and 3 xylenes, the sections cut just fine.  We trim and then then soak the blocks for about 30 minutes on wet ice then section at 5 microns, let the slides drain a bit, shake off excess water and lay flat on a hot plate overnight set at 40C.   If you are preparing bone marrow smears you want to keep then away from any 10% NBF so if you are collecting at necropsy stay as far away from the formalin as possible that will mess up your stain.  Crack the femur and with a paint brush dipped in 5% EDTA collect the bone marrow from the femur and then "paint" it on the slide.

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592