[Histonet] Mouse bone blocks/sections, bone marrow smears

Yu, Jian YuJ2 <@t> upmc.edu
Thu Mar 21 18:26:47 CDT 2013

Dear all,

We like to make paraffin embedded bone of mouse tibia and cut longitudinal sections for H&E sections.

Does anyone have a easy-to-follow protocol to prepare (fix and decal) the bone before processing? We routinely fix soft tissue (ie. mouse GI tract  and liver) and send off to our pathology core for processing and embedding.

Any tips on cutting the blocks is helpful too. These sections appear brittle.

We are also interested in a practical protocol for making mouse BM smears and staining to determine cellularity changes after radiation.

We just started working with the bone.  Any advice will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jian
Jian Yu, Ph.D.
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
Email: yuj2 <@t> upmc.edu