[Histonet] RE: IHC validation

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 11:07:08 CDT 2013

I agree about using known controls however sending cases out for comparison could be a little costly, it is ideal though. One thing i have done is to go back in the records and pull up old cases that have been sent out for IHC and use those to compare not only the test as a case corrolation but also to compare any new controls I might want to continue using. Your pathologist should be able to verify accuracy and sign off on that.

As far as the controls, Id purchase known controls those usually come with a stained example so you can compare that with your new controls and any old known cases you may have. Cases( blocks) that are past thier legal holding date of course.

Good luck!!

Kim D

________________________________
 From: "Morken, Timothy" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
To: Laurie Colbert <lcolbert <@t> pathmdlabs.com>; "Histonet Post (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 1:05 PM
Subject: [Histonet] RE: IHC validation

Laurie, for first time validation use controls. Don't use patient cases that are done for initial diagnostics. If they are repeats to test the system, that is ok.

The question is, who tested the controls? Ideally you will send a representative sample of your slides to another lab that uses the same or similar reagents to run for parallel testing.

Tim Morken
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center