[Histonet] RE: Cytology Staining

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Fri Jul 5 08:58:06 CDT 2013

So, I'm late to this response, but there are several ways you can avoid floaters.  We utilize the ThinPrep process for all body fluids, bronch washes, urines or other fluids we receive.  The nature of this type of prep is considered a method for reducing the potential for floaters.  You could also use a cytospin and the cytospin collection fluid contains PEG, which helps to the cells adhere to the slide.

We generally triage our body cavity fluids by taking a drop (after the material has been placed into a Preservcyt vial) and make a quick wet prep.  We add a few drops of toluedine blue to the drop, cover slip and do a rapid review for any positive appearing cells.  If found, we stain the body cavity fluid separately.  If not, it is batched with the other non-gyn specimens and stained.  We do separate out our direct smear prepped FNA's though as they have more of a tendency to shed material when it was not spread correctly, which resulted in thick areas. We generally know if the FNA is positive or not because we attend most of those procedures and provide a rapid interpretation.

All stains are filtered if a positive case is encountered.

Hope this helps to the conversation,

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
NEW EMAIL: joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
http://www.rrmc.org/
 Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Boyd, Debbie M
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:13 AM
To: McCabe, Sara; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Cytology Staining

Body fluids are stained separately as they have a high potential for floating.  FNA's , bronchs, thyroids, urine ect. Can all be stained together.   After a malignant case is reported all stains are filtered and the first alcohol before each stain is discarded.  The first alcohol after each stain is discarded and the others rotated up with a fresh one at the end.