[Histonet] Re: Question about sectioning brain tissue at 10-15 microns

Teri Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Thu Jan 31 11:26:43 CST 2013

Hi Christina,

First I would have you use a room temperature block. If the tissue needs to be rehydrated briefly, use room temp water instead of ice. I can get 12 micron ribbons of bone using Paraplast extra, I haven't tried thicker.

If that doesn't work, what blade are you using? In my experience, the Accuedge low profile blades tend to curl more quickly than other blades. You can try using a thicker blade or one from a different manufacturer and see if that helps.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752