[Histonet] RE: cytoprep

Joe W. Walker, Jr. joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
Thu Jan 31 09:15:53 CST 2013

I assume that these are conventional Pap tests where the material is smeared onto the slide.  I am curious why the slides are air dried upon collection instead of applying a spray fixative to the slide.  If these are non-gyn slides from a brushing or FNA, then we might need to have a different discussion.

As someone with numerous years experience with cytoprep, I would need more information to help trouble shoot what might be the real issue and to offer suggestions.

Cheers,

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)CM
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P: 802.747.1790  F: 802.747.6525
NEW EMAIL: joewalker <@t> rrmc.org
www.rrmc.org

Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England

Rutland Regional...Vermont's 1st Hospital to Achieve Both ANCC Magnet Recognition® and the Governor's Award for Performance Excellence

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tony Henwood (SCHN)
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:05 PM
To: 'Nancy Schmitt'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: cytoprep

The saline re-hydration works well as long as smears are not allowed to dry too long before rehydration.
I have found that air-drying longer than 2 hours decreases the effectiveness of the procedure.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA) Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA