[Histonet] Re: Cresyl echt violet stain for Helicobacter

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:53:11 CST 2013

Diana McCaig asked if anyone had a method for cresyl echt violet
staining of Helicobacter.

This information was published in Histo-Logic in April 1999. This was
all the information in the article.

Cresyl Echt Violet (CEV) This method utilizes a metachromatic dye,
cresyl echt violet (also called cresyl violet acetate) to stain the
bacteria. The bacteria stand out well because the mucous layer does
not stain heavily with the CEV and provides a nice contrast for the
organism. It is a very easy and quick stain utilizing a 0.1% aqueous
working solution of CEV. The slides are deparaffinized, hydrated to
water, and stained in the CEV for 3 minutes. They are then rinsed in
distilled water, dehydrated, cleared, and mounted.

Reference: Gomes C. Rapid cresyl echt violet staining method for
identifying Helicobacter pylori. On Stage, NY State Histotechnological
Society. 1993;16(2).

I recently had a locum tenens client who used this stain. I was not
impressed that it was significantly better than the blue stain. They
also had the immunostain available. I can probably get more
information on the method from them.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN