[Histonet] On-slide IHC control workflow?

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 12:57:35 CST 2013

Tim
Of course not every method works everywhere....here is what I do for myself.

I use a mix of MTB blocks with some single tissue when scarcity of tissue makes this sensible. The MTB blocks are based on the IHC panels  Make own MTB blocks , feel too expensive to buy for me right now,  but might make sense for others. I don't have a micro array tool right now so I do my own improvisingAssign control cutting as a rotated duty. Keep a log of the source block and the number of control slides prepared, (after awhile this helps in cutting down on pulling incorrect controls too)Breast markers, other finicky- refrigerate, (Her 2 - date and use within 6 weeks per CAP) other controls at room temperature in labeled slide boxes. I keep the current control with the slides in the box until it is exhaustedCut more slides for MTB blocks,   less of not often requested or single tissue controls- could set  stock or par numbers,  but haven't needed to do this yetI have controls in the SOP and a table in excel of the current controls, but you can also write it on a copy of the request form beside the name of the AB and tape it up if it changes oftenPeople should be able to pull the correct controls from that, and they are required to check the stain under the 'scope anyhow, so hopefully that would assist in keeping the wrong control from going out
I am kind of picky about the record-keeping, but in the end I feel it saves more time than not.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC