[Histonet] On-slide IHC control workflow?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Wed Dec 4 11:45:43 CST 2013

We are planning our move to using on-slide controls for IHC and I'm wondering how other labs handle the workflow and logistics of matching controls to stain orders.

We plan to use a TMA for 80% of our orders. So far we have one TMA that covers most Ab's but the number will probably will be expanded (neuropath-specific, Hempath specific, etc).

For those who do this now, how do you handle these tasks:

*         Do you use TMA or single-tissue controls? Or a mix?

*

*         Cutting all the controls - one or more techs? Part of normal work? Outsource? (especially TMA cutting - inhouse or outsource?)

*         How do you store the controls? (We plan to cut nearly just-in-time, maybe two days from use).

*         How do you distribute to the cutters?

*         How do you Indicate to the cutting techs which control slide to use for a particular stain? (we use over 200 antibodies so need to make as easy as possible without memorization)

*         How do you prevent the wrong control slide from being used?

Anything else we should consider?

Thanks for any help!!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
Box 1656
505 Parnassus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94143