[Histonet] RE: On-slide IHC control workflow?

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Dec 4 12:59:09 CST 2013

This is what we've done when we recently moved to control tissue on every slide for IHC as well as Special Stains.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596
FAX: (608)262-7174

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 11:46 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] On-slide IHC control workflow?

We are planning our move to using on-slide controls for IHC and I'm wondering how other labs handle the workflow and logistics of matching controls to stain orders.

We plan to use a TMA for 80% of our orders. So far we have one TMA that covers most Ab's but the number will probably will be expanded (neuropath-specific, Hempath specific, etc).

For those who do this now, how do you handle these tasks:

*         Do you use TMA or single-tissue controls? Or a mix?

	 We use single tissues for most and have decreased the number of different tissues being used as controls to a more generic tissue that will cover a wider range of antibodies.

*         Cutting all the controls - one or more techs? Part of normal work? Outsource? (especially TMA cutting - inhouse or outsource?)

	Cutting controls is a component of several of the histologists' rotations so every week at least 2 people have this task as part of their rotation.

*         How do you store the controls? (We plan to cut nearly just-in-time, maybe two days from use).

	Most are stored at RT; some are stored at - 20 degrees C for those antigens that may lose reactivity at RT

*         How do you distribute to the cutters?

	The IHC lab prints control slides and pulls the corresponding blocks to have at the ready for those people on the rotations that include cutting controls...they come pick the slides & blocks 	up when they're ready to cut

*         How do you Indicate to the cutting techs which control slide to use for a particular stain? (we use over 200 antibodies so need to make as easy as possible without memorization)

	We have a master list of our antibodies posted where IHC slides are organized, that indicates which control tissue to use for each antibody.

*         How do you prevent the wrong control slide from being used?

	People learn....if a mistake is made, that person is "written up" so the importance of paying attention to detail is reinforced.

Anything else we should consider?

	We cut large amounts, i.e. 200 tonsil controls, at a time rather than a couple days before the need for control slides.  These are kept in slide files in the area of IHC slide organization where 	the barcode labels are printed for use on our IHC stainers.  The control slides are then labeled along with blank slides for the negative controls and taken to microtomy work stations ; works 	well for us.

Thanks for any help!!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies UC San Francisco Medical Center Box 1656
505 Parnassus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94143
USA

415.353.1266  (office)