[Histonet] RE: Whole slide scanners, any reviews..?

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Apr 10 12:45:16 CDT 2013

Jamie

You can go to the DPA website to get a bit more information on scanners https://digitalpathologyassociation.org/   , there are some white papers up that discuss some different topics and I think the website for http://digitalpathologyconsultants.com/DPCblog/about/   Amanda works for Visopharm which is a software provider but she also has a lot of information on her site.  Keith Kaplans site also has a lot of information - http://tissuepathology.com/

There are other scanners that I would considers - Phillips, Hamamatsu, etc.  you should look at those too.  I know that Hamamatsu also scans fluorescent but not sure about Phillips or Ventana.

Leica scanners use Slide Path for their database, I'm not sure what the others use for their database.  We have an Aperio ScanScope XT but it only scans brightfield.  Some companies that sell scanners also have analysis tool boxes and databases that you can purchase with the scanner and some companies only sell the scanner and you will have to figure out what you are going to do for your database, storage and analysis.  If you are looking at analysis and if you are in the clinical setting I would definitely pick a company that has had some of their software 510K cleared for specific analysis (ER/PR, Her2, etc)  that will help your internal validation process.

Good Luck

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC