[Histonet] Picric Acid

E. Wayne Johnson ewj <@t> pigsqq.org
Wed Sep 19 16:01:53 CDT 2012

Yes, Picric Acid was once a popular explosive and differs from TNT only
in the substitution of -OH with -CH3 in the case of TNT.

The Halifax explosion was dramatic.

I understand the snark-hunting zeal of regulatory bureaucrats.  I once
upon a time had a job in such a group.

We keep nitric acid and sulfuric acid and glycerine.  Someone down the
hall has some kieselguhr.
But we aren't much worried that those are going to get together and
cause a problem in the lab
or on the number 11 bus.

My question is this:

Are there any documented cases of picric acid explosions in a histopath
laboratory or any other laboratory
due to dried out picric acid?  (please note that we do keep ours wet)

There is something like over a 100 years experience with picric acid in
histopathology.  Surely there was some anecdote
of an explosion somewhere if there really is a hazard.