[Histonet] Picric Acid

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 19 18:12:49 CDT 2012

When I was in Texas the second  time ( I was there from 1981-1986 and
returned in 1991. OK so I'm dating myself) , we were preparing a CAP
inspection. I found a brown bottle way in the back of the chemical cabinet.
Lo and behold it was the picric acid I saved from the previous go round. I
said to my supervisor (Hector for those of you who know us) "Hey man, look
what I found? Picric acid." We can't have this around, I'll go put in my
truck". I put more water in the bottle and I carried it around a couple of
days until after the inspection. Yep, miss those days. The things I do for
my buddy.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jackie
O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:20 PM
To: TGoins <@t> mt.gov; CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org; mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu;
histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Picric Acid

There is a lot of published data on the hazards of picric acid - although I
don't think most histo labs have to worry about what they have in house for
trichromes and fixation.  It did cost me more disposal since we used to use
hundreds of gallons a year for fixation of testes.   Finding an alternative
fixative was a good move for us.
Jackie O'