[Histonet] Radiatiation Safety

Craven Peter (NHS HIGHLAND) peter.craven <@t> nhs.net
Thu Nov 29 11:08:42 CST 2012

Deloris
When we set this up we got our Radiation Protection Services to write a safe handling policy for the tissues (sentinel nodes) and added this into our Standard Operating Procedures. Might as well get the advice from the experts and trust it rather than making your own policy.

Peter

Peter L Craven FIBMS
Pathology Department
Raigmore Hospital
Old Perth Road
Inverness
IV2 3UJ
Tel 01463 704269
email  peter.craven <@t> nhs.net
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Deloris Carter [delsuec <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: 29 November 2012 04:59 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Radiatiation Safety

Hi all,

 I'm trying to complete a protocol for radioactive specimen handling.  I
need to know if anyone has suggestions for this.  We do not use a geiger
counter for specimens.  The radiation safety person in nuclear med says
their policy is that technicium 99 has such a short half life, and that
there is no need for special handling of sentinel node specimens.  I just
need some input.  I'm not really getting anywhere with nuclear med on any
other information such as prostate seeds, the actual breast biopsy that may
be sent after a sentinel node procedure, etc.  Our CAP inspection looms,
and I need to finalize this protocol ASAP.  Thanks for any help.

Deloris Carter HT(ASCP)
delsuec <@t> gmail.com

Thank you for your co-operation.