[Histonet] Control tissue

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:15:28 CDT 2012

I would think that ANP.21100, 21366 might be applied by an inspector ( from older checklist so sorry numbers might have changed). But in any case I might suggest that some sort of numbering system to indicate the block sequence/identity and tissue type of the control is needed. Though you could probably write that accession number,  it might use up too much writing space depending on what else you labeling requires.  I think the checklist from last year had a specific stipulation about this. Probably on the CAP site - cap.org- by now.  As I interpret it, you need a tracking of the source material and record keeping of that and what block was used as a control on what patient sample. You should also document that it worked :) Using a log to record the original source has usually worked out, and you can document it once as the original source with a tracking number to any prepared control blocks or control slides. I have always done testing of controls ( first and last of large batches) , or at least  parallel,  run noting the source, before use with a patient sample, and document the results are as expected- but I don't always see labs doing this.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC