[Histonet] RE: HTL exam

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed May 23 12:49:17 CDT 2012

We used to have our students take the BOC just before graduation in the summer, but found that the stress of finals coupled with the BOC was a bit much.  Especially for those who worked.  We do require that the students sign up for the exam (we do this in class as a group) and advise them to take it within about a month of graduation.
Some of the students request extra tutoring for the exam and we try to accommodate that as well.
Employers that are changing their requirements want registered or eligible; or completion of an accredited program, usually.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor, Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
MD Anderson Cancer Center
(713) 563-3481
tnmayer <@t> mdanderson.org

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:39:39 -0500
From: "McAnn, Sherrian" <Sherrian.McAnn <@t> va.gov>
Subject: [Histonet] (no subject)
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

I agree and would like to add.  This is one scenario that I have seen many times, where hospitals  or wherever will hire histotechs without certifications .  I am thinking that saves them money and they still have a "histotech".  I have seen good histotechs  that have no certification and likewise some bad ones with certification.  Lately I
have seen these  schools turn out histotechs   ,  it seems with little
encouragement to get certified.  If places will hire them without being certified,  there seems little incentive (unless you are self motivated for more money) to move on up to certification.

Message: 3
That seems to be the unfortunate situation at this time...

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC