[Histonet] how often do you change your hematoxylin?

Stephenson, Sheryl SStephenson <@t> lifecell.com
Mon May 7 06:07:49 CDT 2012

Hi Meryl,
What stain are you using your Hematoxylin for?   We use Harris Hematoxylin for H&E staining and we filter it each day that we need to use it.    We change it once per month.  We are also not a high volume lab.  We are a histology department in a biotech company.  Your suspicions are right that it could be getting diluted by water dripping off the slides if they are not properly drained after the water rinsing step.
Sheryl.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Meryl Roberts
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:51 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] how often do you change your hematoxylin?

We are currently using a vintage solution, and the manufacturer states that it should be good for 2500 slides. We are not a high volume lab; and currently I am finding that the longest I can stretch it out for is 2 weeks max, in which time we have stained less than 1000 slides. How often does on average do you change your hematoxylin? Do you think maybe it could be getting diluted by water dripping from the slides; or maybe it is oxidising in the air? Thanks, Meryl 		 	   		  _______________________________________________