[Histonet] how often do you change your hematoxylin?

Vanessa Avalos vavalos <@t> allergydermatology.com
Mon May 7 10:16:54 CDT 2012

We are a small lab and used Vintage for a while and loved the stain. I did notice that both the Eosin and Hemat did become watered down faster than any other brand we had tried and evaporated more. I also could only use it for about 2 wks before having to toss and refill.  If it was more cost efficient we would still be using it. We went back to our Gill III and I filter it 2-3 times a week and can use it for about 3 weeks.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Meryl Roberts
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:51 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] how often do you change your hematoxylin?

We are currently using a vintage solution, and the manufacturer states that it should be good for 2500 slides. We are not a high volume lab; and currently I am finding that the longest I can stretch it out for is 2 weeks max, in which time we have stained less than 1000 slides. How often does on average do you change your hematoxylin? Do you think maybe it could be getting diluted by water dripping from the slides; or maybe it is oxidising in the air? Thanks, Meryl 		 	   		  _______________________________________________