[Histonet] PROTOCOL FOR COLOR CODING BIOPSY CASSETTES

White, Lisa M. Lisa.White3 <@t> va.gov
Fri Mar 23 08:13:44 CDT 2012

I am not aware of a standardized way to color code cassettes.

I have worked at several labs and it is individualized to each lab
needs.  Currently we have red for stat or special stain, white for large
specimens, blue for biopsies, green for autopsy, yellow for bone, pink
for cell blocks, orange for fna cell blocks, we have 4 colors for
prostate biopsies gray, aqua, lilac, & peach with color coordinated
slides to be able to make sure no biopsies make it into the wrong case
(we run 4 cases per overnight processing run).

Just make an inventory of all your tissues and decide on the color
scheme that would suit you best.  Ours helps to speed things up in the
morning when embedding so that you can find the stat items first.

Lisa White, HT(ASCP)

Supervisory HT

James H. Quillen VAMC

PO Box 4000