[Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

Jim Reilly James.Reilly <@t> glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 02:54:09 CST 2012

Hello Everyone

I have worked in histology for 41 years and the only reason we ever put
sections shiny side up is when we want to look at back to back sections:
We would take the first section and put it shiny side up in the bath and
the next section immediately after would be placed shiny side down.
This will give you adjacent sections that will be cut through the same
face i.e. if a cell is cut in half the other half will be mirrored on
the other section. This can be a very handy tool for comparing IHC
staining.

Cheers

James H Reilly
Senior Histology Technician

Institute Of Infection, Immunity, Inflammation College Of Medical,
Veterinary and Life Sciences University Of Glasgow Room B4/27 Sir Graeme
Davies Building 120 University Place Glasgow
G12 8TA

Tel: +44 141 330 8420/7573

The University of Glasgow is a charity registered in Scotland, charity
number SC004401