[Histonet] Proteolytic enzyme pretreatment before immunostaining

Young Kwun Young.Kwun <@t> sswahs.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jul 31 19:41:12 CDT 2012

Dear Histonetters,

Could anyone explain about the difference between proteolytic enzymes
for immuostaining?

We use enzyme pretreatment rarely nowadays, and apart from some
ready-to-use one (Dako's Proteinase K), I have used Protease (Sigma)
previously when I did manual staining.

At the moment I am using Leica's BondMax autostainer and their enzyme
pretreatment kit (Trypsin ??, usually one drop per 7 ml vial). I know
the pretreatment condition would be affected by the concentration of
enzymes, pH, temperature, incubation time etc.

My question is that do they have different mode of action on tissues? I
am helping a research project and our antibody includes various clones
of Integrin 6 subunit and uPAR.

I have tried enzyme pretreatment with autostainer and manual staining
with Proteinase K (Dako). It seems that some antibodies work better with
certain enzymes.

I mean that some antibodies work well after BondMax enzyme treatment,
but some antibody works better with proteinase K pretreatment manually.
I am using the same polymer detection system (Leica Microsystem) for
both methods.

I would like to find an enzyme which works for both of our antibodies at
the same time.

Thank you.

Young Kwun

Senior Hospital Scientist