[Histonet] Proteolytic enzyme pretreatment before immunostaining

William Chappell chapcl <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 20:01:57 CDT 2012

Enzyme pretreatment, and all steps in epitope retrieval, should follow the same quality control steps as antibody incubation and antibody concentration.

Enzyme pretreatment is not magic, however the kinetics involved are very difficult to predict.  Epitopes are typically chemical "shapes" within tertiary protein structure, however they can involve secondary structure and quartinary structure.  The purpose of enzyme pretreatment is to get the right epitope in the right configuration so it can be recognized by the antibody.  Heat retrieval is meant to break formalin cross linkages, but enzyme pretreatment actually eats away at part of the protein (depending on the protease).

Too little protease treatment and it does nothing, too much and the epitope is destroyed.

The bottom line, novel antibodies need to be validated with numerous retrieval methods.  If it is deemed that a protease is better, numerous times and numerous concentrations should be tried -- even at different temperatures.  Finally, there is no reason to believe that different novel antibodies will require the same pretreatment, however, a  common pretreatment may be sufficient (though possibly not optimal) for each antibody.

One last thing, if you know more about the nature of the antigen used to create the antibody, you may be able to predict the required pretreatment -- talk to the primary investigator.

Will Chappell, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Children's Hospital of Orange County