[Histonet] Frozens and antigen retrieval

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 4 06:28:48 CDT 2012

Usually not.

Fixation cross-links the proteins, which can mask the epitope (=antibody
binding site of the antigen). So antigen retrieval breaks the fixative
cross-links, exposing the epitope.

If there's no fixation, there's no cross-links, so the epitope is usually
exposed and available to easily bind to the antibody.

Plus, there's no destruction of tissue morphology if you're not using
antigen retrieval, so the quality of the section looks much nicer.

That being said, there may be some antibody out there that still needs
antigen retrieval on frozen section, but then the company's protocol
probably wouldn't say "optional".

So try it the first time without antigen retrieval.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect Beaumont.