[Histonet] difficult cross section to cut

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:41:54 CST 2012

Louise
A product that used to work well for me in the middle ages was called "Mollifex" came from BDH.
Barry

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Louise Renton [louise.renton <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:37 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] difficult cross section to cut

Hi Peggy
1. I have found that to cut  bone the block has to be REALLY cold. Face
block with increased knife angle as suggested by Rene, and then place in
freezer overnight - then try sectioning
2. Try surface decalcification of your block overnight in whichever soln.
you normally use.
3. Section at 4-6 microns
4. You do not say, but high profile disposables work better with bone than
low profile
5, failing this, you could try dewaxing and re decalcifying for a few more
days

good luck

--
Louise Renton