[Histonet] RE: Elastichrome paper, and troubleshooting

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jan 5 16:17:44 CST 2012

How old is the alcoholic Hx you use to prepare the Verhoeffs. I have found that matured 10% ethanoic Hx is more resistant to differentiation than freshly prepared Hx.

Might be of use

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Friday, 6 January 2012 4:45 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Elastichrome paper, and troubleshooting

Does anyone have a pdf (or could fax me) the original paper for "Elastichrome" stain:

Richardson, L. "Combination Elastic Trichrome Stain," Laboratory Medicine, 6.1, 1975

We have a procedure with this reference, but no original paper to look at. We do it very rarely and no one seems to know how well it worked in the past.

I do have another paper in the same vein, "A combination verhoeff's elastic and masson's trichrom stain for routine histology," O'Connor, S. Valle, Stain Technology V 57, no. 4, 1982, that is a modification of the Richardson paper, and gives us some ideas, but I would still like to see the original paper if possible.

Our problem is that the elastic stain washes out during or after the trichrome.

Procedure:
Bouins, 56C one hour
Wiegerts hematolylin, 3min
Verhoffs elastic stain, 15 min
2% ferric chloride differentiation (so far so-good) Gomori's trichrome Blue, 15 min 0.2% glacial acetic acid, 1 min Wash dH20, dehydrate, clear, mount

Results:  trichrome looks great, no elastin stain.

I'm thinking the acetic acid is too long so told them to shorten it to a few dips and see how it looks. But, maybe some has some experience with this and has other suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UC San Francisco Medical Center
Box 1656
1600 Divisidero St, B217
San Francisco, CA 94115
USA

415.514.6042 (office)
415.885.7409 Fax
tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org<mailto:tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.