[Histonet] NCCI policy on IHC billing

Sheila Fonner sfonner <@t> labpath.com
Thu Jan 5 06:35:03 CST 2012

Knoxville, TN

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sally Price
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:17 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] NCCI policy on IHC billing

Histonetters:
I waited a few days to see how others might weigh in after this information
was posted.  Call me crazy, but I expected quite a bit more reaction from
our community.  How is it that such a signifcant change in how IHC testing
may be conducted and will be paid for in the future can produce so little
response?

The way this new policy is stated, it looks pretty straightfoward: one
antibody (IHC procedure) per specimen; so, when it's necessary to use a
battery of IHC stains to determine the origin of an undifferentiated
neoplasm, the lab can only bill for one procedure.  How could such an
approach be possible?  And what about multi-antibody procedures, which are
usually more cost effective than single-antibody procedures?

Come on folks, this is a big deal becuase IHC staining is essential to to
the practice of anatomic pathology and provides a lot of us with our
livelihood.  I know I'm not alone in thinking that the CMS needs to know
that this new policy is completely impractical and must be changed.  Sure,
there's some unnecessary IHC procedures being performed, but this isn't the
way limit the problem.
Sally

Message: 6