[Histonet] Are there any CryoJane users out there who understand the quirks of the tape?

Thomas, Nancy nto <@t> stowers.org
Wed Jan 4 12:31:40 CST 2012

Hi Douglas,
We have a cryojane system, but do not use it too often.  So this might not be expert advise, but I do remember that we would sometimes flash the slide more than once.  I was just checking in the procedure manual that came with the equipment and it does not mention to do this.  Still, we did it and it helped.  Also, looking back at some old histonet advise, I saw that someone posted that the 1x slides worked better than the 4x.  We also found this to be true.  I spoke with a salesperson at the NSH a few years ago and he said to use the 4x.  So we did try that but found it not to be the cure.  Also, there is mention of making sure your knife blade is good and sharp.  Also play around with different knife angles.  If you are using a disposable knife and cannot get good results after all of your changes, you may need to try a tungsten-carbide knife.
Hope this helps!
Nancy Thomas
Stowers Institute
Kansas City, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas M Burns
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:10 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Are there any CryoJane users out there who understand the quirks of the tape?

Nancy Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas M Burns
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:10 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hello, Histonetters,

     To continue my (sad) string posts about CryoJane problems, we have now switched to the 4X slides, and we still observe the tape pulling pieces of the section off the slide. Sometimes the pieces are very small, sometimes they are large, and at times a whole region of the section comes off with the tape.

      We have now tried many different things to correct this:  1) pulling the tape off the section in many different ways, 2) pulling tape off at many different angles & speeds, 3) several different temperatures, 4) with many different mental attitudes, 5) with sections of different thickness,
6) light rolling of tape and section versus ferocious rolling, etc., etc.
So far, no dice; we are puzzled.

      Does anyone have more ideas about what to adjust. We think that this really should work, but at the same time, we can't seem to locate many users of the CryoJane system. So, CryoJane enthusiasts, this is the time to talk about why you like it, or how you do it.

                        thanks again   ---------------   Doug Burns, MBRF,
Kansas City