[Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 29 03:17:40 CST 2012

I think it's more to have consistency, rather than, say, a physical reason.
My opinion.

Example:
- Tech A put the shiny side down on the flotation bath, and picked up the
sections on the slide, and did an H&E.
- Later in the day, the pathologist needs additional levels or some special
stains or IHC  on the same block.
- If Tech B now cuts the same block and puts shiny side up, the sections
would be 180 degrees reversed. So if the pathologist saw the area of concern
in lower left quadrant in the original H&E, now it would be in the upper
right quadrant.

Sort of the same reason when laying out ribbons, it would be nice for the
the top of the block be picked up from the ribbon oriented towards the top
(frosty) part of the slide. If all techs picked up the ribbon in the same
orientation directions, all subsequent recuts would also be in the same
direction, regardless of which tech cut the block. (Unless of course you are
putting 3 ribbons on the same slide, then the top of the block may be
different, but even then, the ribbons are always laid out in the same
directions, so that all 3 ribbons of tissue are facing the same direction.)

It just makes it easier for the pathologist to find the same area quickly on
each section. And for the histotech to check the quality of the staining in
specific areas on each slide.

Peggy A. Wenk,HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
The opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect upon Beaumont
Hospital.