[Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Feb 29 16:28:37 CST 2012

Who wants to look at Cell bottoms all day!!

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Eric Hoy
Sent: Wednesday, 29 February 2012 12:36 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

All of the cells would be face down when you looked at them!

(It's already been a long week!)

Eric Hoy

Eric S. Hoy, Ph.D., SI(ASCP)
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, Texas
Email: Eric.Hoy <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu

On 2/28/12 5:56 PM, "Lucie Guernsey" <lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu> wrote:

> As all of us who cut paraffin know, the underside of each section as
> it comes off the blade is shiny. I've always accepted it as a fact
> that the shiny side always goes down on the water bath, but I've begun
> to wonder why. Is there a specific reason why we're all taught to put
> the shiny side down? What would the difference be between a 'properly'
> collected section and a rebelliously collected shiny-side up section? Does it even matter?
>
> Thanks!
> Lucie
>
> Lucie Guernsey
> UC San Diego
> lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.