[Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Settembre, Dana settembr <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed Feb 22 05:47:20 CST 2012

I would be worried too.
Wearing gloves in the lab is always a good practice and
I believe, a requirement in my lab whenever handling reagents or
the possibility of coming into contact with reagents.
You have the right to wear gloves if you want.

Dana Settembre
University Hospital - UMDNJ
Newark, NJ

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jenny Vega
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:18 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

I am asking this because in my job we mount slides by hand, and my
coworkers don't like to use gloves because it leaves a residue of latex in
the back of the slides. I really don't feel comfortable mounting without
gloves because I heard that xyelene can cause cancer. Some people I know
personally has told me that this is not possible, but I read in some places
that xylene could a possible carcinogen.

I have already gotten contact with xylene in my hands a couple of times and
I am worried.

Thanks.