[Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Feb 22 18:42:59 CST 2012

Hi all,

My 2 cents worth, just be careful which gloves you wear. The reason for latex residues appearing on the back of the slides is that you are wearing the wrong gloves.
Nitrile gloves are what you need to be using, latex will dissolve in the xylene.

Remember (1):
	Disposable gloves provide a barrier protection when working with small amounts of laboratory chemicals.
	If a disposable glove becomes contaminated, remove immediately and replace with a new glove.
	Never reuse disposable gloves.

(1)	"Guidelines for the selection of Chemically Resistant Gloves" (http://www.bioc.cam.ac.uk/safety/glove_guide.pdf)

(2) 	"Ansell Chemical Resistance Guide" (http://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansell_7thEditionChemicalResistanceGuide.pdf)

http://www.aps.anl.gov/Safety_and_Training/User_Safety/gloveselection.html

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA