[Histonet] Embedding Centers

Burton, Lynn Lynn.Burton <@t> Illinois.gov
Thu Dec 6 15:21:58 CST 2012

Both animal disease labs in the state of Illinois have used the Sakura machines for the twenty years I have been here with great success. We also have aSakura processor that has been going for 25 years and a coverslipper that has only had 3 service calls for minor problems in the past 15+ years. They make good products.
Lynn Burton
Animal Disease Lab
Galesburg, Il

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tim Wheelock
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:29 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Embedding Centers

Hi Everyone:

I am also in the market for a new paraffin embedding center.
I have demo-ed or site-visited the Sakura TEK5, the Leica EG1150, and the Thermo-Fisher HistoStar.
I was wondering if people could give me their critical opinion on these, or other machines.
What sorts of problems have you had with them.

I currently have a 25 year old Shandon Embedding Center. I like it a lot.
But I would like to find a machine with a specimen holding tank large enough to allow me to immerse 300 cassettes all at once.
This is because I infiltrate brain tissue with Tissue Path Paraplast but embed with Surgipath Embedding Media So I let the cassettes sit immersed in the Surgipath  for an hour or two before embedding.

(Until I can buy a new processor, The Shandon's holding tank also serves as a third processing station, since my Shandon Hypercenter has only 2 wax reservoirs) I also do not feel comfortable having the cassettes sitting dry in the holding tank

Thanks,

Tim Wheelock
Neuropathology Laboratory
Harvard Brain Bank