[Histonet] Embedding Centers

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Thu Dec 6 14:41:28 CST 2012

Tim - Tissue-Tek 5 has been trouble-free for the 4 years we have had it
with one exception.  Early on something went goofy with the dispensing
mechanism. Sakura fixed it promptly and it has been great ever since. -
Bill

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Senior Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847

SERENITY is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm.

Cultivate it in PRAYER!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tim
Wheelock
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:29 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Embedding Centers

Hi Everyone:

I am also in the market for a new paraffin embedding center.
I have demo-ed or site-visited the Sakura TEK5, the Leica EG1150, and
the Thermo-Fisher HistoStar.
I was wondering if people could give me their critical opinion on these,
or other machines.
What sorts of problems have you had with them.

I currently have a 25 year old Shandon Embedding Center. I like it a
lot.
But I would like to find a machine with a specimen holding tank large
enough to allow me to immerse 300 cassettes all at once.
This is because I infiltrate brain tissue with Tissue Path Paraplast but
embed with Surgipath Embedding Media So I let the cassettes sit immersed
in the Surgipath  for an hour or two before embedding.

(Until I can buy a new processor, The Shandon's holding tank also serves
as a third processing station, since my Shandon Hypercenter has only 2
wax reservoirs) I also do not feel comfortable having the cassettes
sitting dry in the holding tank

Thanks,

Tim Wheelock
Neuropathology Laboratory