[Histonet] Paraformaldehyde Solution Recipe for Perfusion

Andrew Coleman andrewcoleman131 <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:43:09 CST 2012

Hi all,

We are performing transcardial perfusions in rats using paraformaldehyde in
0.1M potassium phosphate buffer.

Can anyone think of any issues that would be caused by using phosphate
buffer made from solely potassium salts (basic and dibasic), rather than a
mixture of sodium and potassium or only the sodium salts? We do our rinse
with 0.1 M PB + Saline and then follow up with solutions just made up in
the potassium phosphate buffer (therefore no Na+).

Could this cause any tonicity/osmolarity issues? We are trying to
troubleshoot some issues we are having with the perfused tissue.

Thanks! - Andrew