[Histonet] Trichrome

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:26:08 CST 2012

IF you are not successful when the slides are stained on the Nexus OR manually, while the controls stain well, you can eliminate the instrument as the cause.
It is most likely a processing artifact: either incomplete fixation, or overdehydration, or incomplete dewaxing.
Look to your protocol instead to your instrument.
René J.

From: Cheryl <tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:18 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Trichrome

Hi- need help troubleshooting a trichrome.  The stain on the Nexus stainers is inconsistent.  Taking it off the stainer and doing it by hand with a kit has similar results.

The tissue is NBF fixed needle biopsies on kidney.  There is a little mechanical damage on the edges of the tissue but the collagens are staining too light and the red overstains.  The normal tissue as control is beautiful -- I know I know--don't force the stain--but it doesn't make sense to have this much variation from a kit or auto stainer...

Help?

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Path Group of Louisiana